On July 10th, the first spike was laid for a narrow-gauge railroad that could
haul passengers and freight between Tunkhannock and Montrose. The train also
would eventually bring camp-meeting-goers to Dimock. During the first camp
meeting season, the trains were not allowed to run on Sundays so as not to
desecrate the Sabboth.
1873 Around the time of the September camp meeting held near Meshoppen, a decision had been made to find a "permanent" site for the Wyalusing District's annual gathering. On October 22nd, a committed comprised of Luther Peck, J.B. Sumner, J.H. Weston, J.L. Race, P.R. Tower and J.R. Palen took an excursion on the "new" railway from Tunkhannock that had been completed to a point only about two miles north of Dimock. Among the sites examined was Lake Carey and another just west of Springville on James Blakelee's property. No firm decision could be reached by the summer of 1874 and so that year's District camp meeting was again held near Meshoppen.
1875 The Rev. Ira T. Walker, who had become presiding elder of the Wyalusing District on April 14th, convened in Camptown on June 15th, a meeting of the Wyalusing District Ministerial Association which was comprised of the ministers serving the 23 curcuits and stations in the District. A committee was formed of six pastors and five laymen to oversee the work of bringing a "permanent" camp meeting ground into being. All but one of them met at Dimock on June 21st. (On June 27th a news item appearing in The New York Times had the grounds at Dimock on a long list of camp meetings going on around the country that summer.) A workbee was held on July 9th to literally clear the grounds and begin erecting necessary structures and benches. On August 25th, Rev. Walker preached the opening sermon.
1877 On August 15th, the charter of the Wyalusing District Camp Meeting Association was pronounced in the Susquehanna County Court of Common Pleas. As soon as the charter was secured, the people from Nicholson "built the first substantial cottage on the grounds."
1878 Changes in administration of the Wyoming Conference bring about the dissolution of the old Wyalusing District, with its various former preaching places now reassigned into three of the Conference's new six districts. Dimock goes into the Binghamton District which already has its own camp meeting ground at Carmel Grove. One month before the summer of 1914 program at Carmel Grove, a tornado destroys the auditorium and it ceases to be a camp meeting ground. In 1910, another realignment in the Wyoming Conference now reduces the number of districts to four (which is generally its current alignment) and puts Dimock in the Wilkes Barre District which had until 1908 a camp meeting ground at Wyoming. Dimock survives.
1882 The first By-laws of the Wyalusing District Camp Meeting Association are adopted which, among other things, mandate that all association directors must be members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
1885 A new boarding hall (the current Dining hall) is ready for that August's camp meeting season. A news item from the Montrose paper noted that "Vegetables, meat, milk, bread, and other necessaries can be procured at the Hall by those staying on the grounds. A good lunch stand also in connection with it." In 1899, piping was put in to bring water up from the spring to the hall.
1896 The Montrose newspaper reported that new necessary buildings had been erected at Dimock and to recoup the costs, the Association built a wire fence around the grounds and an admission fee of 10 cents for the season was charged. The Tunkhannock newspaper noted this had been done at the Wyoming camp meeting ground for years and had "the effect of keeping away many undesirable characters." At Dimock, 4,500 tickets were sold in 1899.